Week in Review: Mobile Gaming Revenue Matches Box Offices, New “Hearthstone” Tournament, Hutch Raises $5.5 Million
Image Credit: Nintendo via VentureBeat
- You can now download the ESL Play app on Android and iOS. Over 6 million members have played in ESL Play online cups, and now users will be able to better navigate the platform directly from their mobile devices. Users will have access to the competitions, with tournaments and cups in 50 different gaming titles. Additional features are incoming such as map voting, game integration and more. (eSports Insider)
- Take-Two Interactive is moving into mobile gaming with the purchase of Social Point. Take-Two is the developer behind “Grand Theft Auto” that once rebuffed a $2 billion acquisition offer from EA. It has acquired Social Point, a publisher based out of Barcelona referred to as the “Zynga of Europe,” for $250 million with additional earn-outs of up to $25.9 million. Up to now, Take-Two has focused more on console and PC gaming. (TechCrunch)
- “Pokémon Go” has surpassed $1 billion in revenue after launching in July, according to SensorTower. For comparison, “Clash Royale,” another app closing in on $1 billion in revenue, grossed $550 million in its first seven months. Although daily revenue on “Pokémon Go” has fallen since its launch, the game is still pulling in up to $2.5 million every day. (Business Insider)
- EA is partnering with ESPN for “FIFA” eSports broadcasts. The “FIFA” Ultimate Team Championship Series competition will be the first gaming competition to appear on the ESPN flagship network. Meanwhile, the “Madden” NFL Championship Series and “Madden” Bowl will be broadcast on NFL Network and Univision. (VentureBeat)
- Glu Mobile has appointed ex-EA GM Mike Olsen as its new Senior VP of Studios. Olsen will be responsible for building the company’s team of developers to work on new projects. He joins after 20 years with EA spanning across PC, console and mobile. During his time at EA, Olsen led the company’s Capital Games studio and worked as Senior Creative Director at Mythic Entertainment. (PocketGamer.biz)
Visit the Skillz blog each week for a comprehensive review of the latest gaming news!